Thursday, April 5, 2012

Octoboy Japanese Pizza and Takoyaki


I haven't really posted anything on my blog for a  long time because my laptop broke down (coincidentally, on a Valentine's day!) and I apparently lost all of my files, including the pictures I've taken in all of the restaurants I've eaten in. I honestly thought that I wouldn't be able to access any of my files anymore (and I was grieving already) but, thankfully, I was able to retrieve everything and things are right as rain now.
   

Anyway, today, I'd like to look back at one of my most simple yet memorable dining experiences in a small Japanese restaurant, called Octoboy. I went here with my regular food buddy just because we wanted to know how the real Takoyaki (with the Octopus, of course) tastes like since I've grown tired of eating the fake versions of Takoyaki sold by unknown vendors along Morayta (and throwing up in the process). Plus, I really wanted to have a dose of Octopus that day so eating here was not really a question.
   

We went to their Tomas Morato Branch, which is closer to my place and is a newer, more spacious restaurant compared to the original one along Banawe.
   
Interestingly, we actually liked the place a lot albeit its simplicity and I would say that that's partly because it's one of the best-smelling restaurants I've eaten in for many years. At first, I was expecting that, with this kind of kitchen setup, I would smell like a freshly-prepared Takoyaki right after I step outside, but it just didn't happen. 
    
There're also some Japanese pop songs playing in the background, completing that Japanese cosmopolitan feel and, according to our waiter that day, they also have bands playing music at night so do watch out for that. 
   
Overall, I thought that the restaurant's ambiance was very relaxing and inviting. Now, let's head on to the yummy food. We had the Age Dashi Tofu first, and we thought that it was a great way to start the meal.
   

Look at how beautifully these chunks of tofu browned while swimming in a wok full of hot oil.
  
Age Dashi Tofu (P 110.00)
  
Of note, their age dashi tofu is topped with some Nori and Bonito Flakes (paper-thin fish flakes) and served with black vinegar, and I really have to say that it's absolutely delicious. The tofu was just so soft it felt almost creamy, and it was fried to perfection. The tofu was very fresh and I guess it's best to eat it without dipping it in the sauce too much to enjoy its delicate consistency and flavor.
  
Up next, of course, is the Takoyaki and we got to observe how Kuya from Octoboy's Kitchen prepared our meal.
  

Here, kuya is putting some veggies on top of the first layer of Takoyaki batter.
  

Some more batter.
  

Cooking the other side now. Almost done.
  

And voila! The nicely done Takoyaki!
  
Octopus Takoyaki (P 120.00)
  
Yum! That's all I can say. I honestly thought of giving up on Takoyaki right before this meal because the fake ones are just so bad that they make me want to throw up every time, but this one's absolutely delish! I now understand why this is a popular snack in Japan. The flavor of this small ball of goodness just explodes in the mouth and there are literally chunks of Octopus inside each Takoyaki.
  
Look at that yummy tentacle. lol!
  
The Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pizza) was up next, but we were a tad full already as the other dishes were a bit heavy.
  

Okonomiyaki (P 285.00)
  
But there's no stopping us from demolishing this pretty huge serving of pizza. In fact, we tasted it right after being served. A word of caution though: do not eat this straight away as it is very HOT! And I mean it. I almost got half of my tongue burnt because of this. This was an okay dish for me but it's a bit salty (maybe because of the Bonito flakes and the sauce). 
  

But what I liked is the generous portion of mozzarella on this plate of pizza. Yum!
  
All in all, we were pretty satisfied with the meal we had here and we'd surely come back some other time. I just wish they could add other stuff on their menu, like ramen or some desserts, perhaps. 
  
  
FINAL SCORES
Ambiance - 4/5
Food - 4/5
Service - 5/5
Value - 5/5
TOTAL - 4.5/5
     
Octoboy Takoyaki & Japanese Pizza
(02) 384 8506
Unit 2-C, 186 Tomas Morato cor. Scout De Guia
Quezon City, Metro Manila


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India