Sunday, November 27, 2011

Lord Stow's Egg Tarts

I have always loved egg desserts so much. It started about 20 years ago, when I first learned how to eat egg pies. This interest and fascination have since grown and expanded to include more custard-based desserts, like the Brazos de Mercedes, Leche Flan, Creme Brulee, and other similar egg-based goodies. Of course, Egg Tart is not an exception to this.

However, it's really hard to find a decent egg tart here in Manila. See, I don't live in Hong Kong, where this is sold in almost every bakeshop and, whenever I try to order this dessert in Chinese restaurants, it's always out of stock! It sucks because I've craved for egg tarts plenty of times already, but no decent Chinese restaurant serves it (although it's included in the menu).

Hence, because of this frustration, I really had to go to Binondo to try and taste Lord Stow's world-famous egg tarts.

Egg Tarts (P 42.00 per piece)

During this visit, I had a box of four egg tarts and had them packed for carry-out. The packaging was nice but I was a little shocked with the price. I mean, 42.00 a piece? It's a hefty price to pay for such a small tart! Whew! 
   
Now, let's try to see whether the egg tart was really worth the forty plus pesos  I paid for it.

For the first test, let's examine the crust. Exhibit A here shows that the crust was very flaky and my bite says that it was absolutely crisp on the outside and soft on the inside - it was perfectly baked! Also, my taste buds would agree that it was not too sweet and it just had that melt-in-your-mouth buttery goodness. 

Now, onto the filling. Exhibit B here shows how the egg custard filling was slightly browned and its luscious layer of egg, cream, and milk looked so tasty. My palate could not deny its amazingly creamy and velvety-smooth texture, paired with the right sweetness and its soft burst-in-the-mouth consistency. It's just so eggy-licious!

The verdict? Awesome! I was almost out of words after eating this. It was so hard to describe how delectable this dessert is.

So, your honor, I rest my case. This is the best egg dessert I've tried in my life and I will surely be back for more.


Lord Stow's Bakery
(02) 247 3305
G/F Unit E Imperial Sky Garden
707 Ongpin St., Binondo, Manila

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India