Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fleur de Lys Patisserie

Eating half a tub of ice cream has inspired me to write something about this desserts place. I almost forgot to blog about this restaurant if not for the chocolate fudge brownie ice cream I’ve snacked on a while ago. Thanks to the sugar dose, I’m back to blogging once more.

Anyway, the reason why I chose to eat in this place is because I’ve realized that I’ve been going around the city and trying out different restaurants and cafes, but I haven’t been to one that serves a lot of cakes and desserts. This, to me, was unacceptable since I am a desserts fanatic, so I wanted to try this place out for a change.
Hence, on an extremely rainy Monday, I went to Fleur de Lys with my usual food buddy, notwithstanding the hazards of the inclement weather. 
AMBIANCE AND ENVIRONMENT
It was very cloudy that day but, even so, we easily noticed the establishment’s exterior as the place looked really fancy, especially with the brick-like facade and the tall pillars. The design of the exterior actually gave the place a faux European look. 
Inside, there were plenty of pastries to choose from and, with so many different types of cakes and treats, it was so hard to pick which ones to order.
There was also a table filled with an assortment of baked goodies, which all looked really tasty!
However, to our disappointment, there were plenty of people in the cafe when we went in. This was surprising as we visited this place on a gusty Monday afternoon and we didn’t really think that anyone would brave the storm just to get here. Obviously, we were wrong. 
As most of the tables were occupied, we found it hard to get a decent seat, let alone a comfortable and cozy one to lounge in. We ended up staying in the most inconvenient spot of the shop, which was rather annoying.
FOOD AND DRINKS
Of course, not having the best seats in the store did not stop us from enjoying the food here. We ordered two mini cakes and a slice of carrot cake as we wanted to sample as much desserts as we can without having a sugar rush.
Pavlova Picasso (P 120.00)
The first mini cake we tasted is the Pavlova Picasso. This one’s really pretty. It had me at first sight and totally blew me away at first bite! This is my favorite among all the cakes we sampled. It had a balanced sweetness - not too sugary, not too floury. The fruits added a little bit of a tangy edge to the flavor and I don’t know if it was just me but I thought I tasted some white chocolate chunks in the pastry. The cream was also not too sweet and the meringue just melts in your mouth. It was a joy eating this cake and I’ve got to come back for more of these.
Dulce and Gabanana Tart (P 120.00)
After finishing the first cake up, we tried out the Dulce and Gabanana Tart,which looked just like Starbuck’s Banoffee Pie. I did like this one in some ways but I thought that it paled in comparison to Banapple’s Banoffee Pie. The banana was sliced so thinly, I can hardly taste it and I thought that the Dulce de Leche wasn’t as sweet as I expected. It was too bland for my sweet tooth. The only thing I liked in this cake is the gingersnap crust as it was different from the graham crust of other similar pastries. One thing I noticed though is that this cake starts out dull but gets more interesting as you eat more of it. 
Pocket Garden (P 115.00)
After the mini cakes, we had a slice of the Carrot Cake (a.k.a. Pocket Garden). I do not actually eat any variant of carrot cake - pocket or full-sized garden at that - because I’ve tried eating a slice of carrot cake before and it turned out to be a traumatic experience. That time, I had to gulp glasses and glasses of water just to be able to swallow the thing up.
This one, however, was different. The mixture of the ingredients (pineapple, coconut, walnuts) somehow neutralized the carroty flavor of the cake. It tasted close to fruit cake more than a carrot cake so I was pretty happy and I got to eat my portion without pinching my nose. This is probably the only carrot cake I’ve enjoyed eating in my life.
SERVICE AND SATISFACTION
Overall, we were satisfied with the food and the service in the store. The dining experience we had pretty much met our expectations. I wouldn’t say that the service was stellar but, at least, it was decent. When we came in, the staff was very courteous and accommodating and, when it took us a lot of time to decide which ones to order, they provided us a menu so we can sit down while contemplating on which desserts to order.
They didn’t help us find seats though, which was frustrating, but they gave us recommendations on what cakes to order and they were honest and very helpful so I guess, overall, the service was satisfactory. The waiters were also very fast - we got our orders right away.
VALUE FOR MONEY
The serving sizes here are too small, in my opinion, and the cakes are a tad expensive. I could easily buy equally delicious but more filling pastries in other cake shops in the metro, without having to spend as much as I would in Fleur de Lys. I feel that the price of the food is very unappealing and would not earn the store a return visit from me as, apart from the store being too far from where I live, I am nearer to some of the better and cheaper cake shops in town.
FINAL SCORES
Ambiance - 3/5
Food - 4/5
Service - 4/5
Value - 3/5
TOTAL - 3.5/5


Fleur de Lys Patisserie
(02) 372 06 31
Ground Level, FLP Building
305 Tomas Morato Ext., South Triangle
Quezon City, Metro-Manila, Philippines

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have only seen this now. thank you ! - Chef Jackie

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Justin Bieber, Gold Price in India